From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:48:08 -0500
>  The Snelgrove method is more than simply placeing a double screen between halves of a split colony.

I think this a useful document for anyone wanting to know more about the many uses of a Snelgrove board. The original board is not the same as the simpler double screens of today. The original board had a removable center screen to allow a more complete migration of nurse bees to the top box after the initial manipulation. I used them for many years as swarm control on production colonies. The equalization of the field force from the top colony to the lower, is accomplished by manipulating the small side entrances in the same way skeps were balanced on the stand by swapping their locations- weak for strong. Ultimately the manipulations become burdensome and the high stack discourages inspections of the lower colony but I’m still drawn to their use as a teaching aide for bee biology. In a good year,  I can get three mediums and a deep of honey plus a new queen from the top box.

https://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Many-Uses-Of-A-Snelgrove-Board-by-Wally-Shaw.pdf