From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:59:36 -0400
From the archives, January 2000

When --- and other researchers have identified what to look for, engineers like me will be happy to design it into a hive monitor that sits at the hive entrance, monitors daylight, temperature, precipitation, bee traffic, weight change, and even sounds of the hive and then report the events over the wireless pager network via satellite to the beekeepers managing thousands of colonies.

---, you did a great job of describing how ANNs could be combined with an electronic hive. But, sorry ---, we've had this capability for 5 years.  That was the topic of my presentation at the American Honey Producers Association in San Diego last week.  Only difference, we monitor many more weather parameters. We aren't monitoring sounds, but we have looked at sound in the past, and may re-visit that topic.

ยง

I have redacted the personal names per moderator request. My question is, whatever became of electronic hive monitoring? Why do we not have this, 25 years later?

PLB