From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2021 15:06:34 -0400
> They are so out of touch with reality, that those of us who have successfully pollinated almonds for decades have to just be amazed by their ignorance.

While this discussion has nothing to with almond pollination itself, one can say exactly the same thing about those who profit from sales of bulk bees, but remain willfully oblivious to the profound quality problems with "packages" as delivered to the end-consumer, the novice beekeeper.

I am not the first to make these observations, nor am I the first to label the current version of "spring packages" as the worst way to start beekeeping, nor the first to start beekeeping courses in fall, with novices working with mentors to create fall splits which are overwintered, simply to avoid the late start of a queen mated under (at best) dubious conditions in the southeast, or rain-delayed more than the Seattle Mariners in California, and in both cases, accompanied by bees of unknown origin.

The situation is so lacking in concern for quality that there are very well-socialized instructions specific to "treating package bees for varroa".  One is forced to start with the assumption that the product for which one has paid nearly $200 is infested with pests and pathogens from the get-go.  In contrast, I've never seen anyone suggest that it is necessary to treat a brand-new mattress for bedbugs!  :)

It is the same with honey - if one views what they sell as a fungible commodity, they will never work on building a reputation for quality.