From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 14:35:10 -0400
> And are bees capable of 'caring'?

How would we know?  Interesting question and new branch of study: honey bee psychology?  Worker bee studies?

> People who profess affection for honey bee colonies, seem to lose that affection when comes colonies of ants, termites, and social wasps.

That is a generalization to which I am (of course) the exception. I respect, appreciate, have some affection for the above, but have admit I don't know any termites and some ants (red ones) are less loveable than others.  (Maybe I'm racist?).

Wasps, at least the local variety where I live I quite enjoy and preserve.  We even had one nest in a doorway.  When we opened the door, the nest split in half and when we closed it the nest went back together.  Some wasps would come out and look at us, then go back in after the door was closed .  No one was ever stung nearby except by honey bees.

Sure, I have killed ants and killed wasps and killed honey bees at various times, but that does not mean I do not have affection for them.

I have yet to learn to love varroa, but I'll bet some varroa researchers get to respect and even like them a bit.