From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:13:16 -0500
Original Date of Post: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:32 PM

> What if the unmasked and opened
> places had similar curves on similar timescales?

"Similar curves" would only occur if the virus was somehow becoming "less
transmissible" or "more virulent" (or perhaps both), killing victims before
they have a chance to spread the infection to others.  That's hasn't
happened. Ebola and Dengue Fever can kill in less than 24 hours, if
untreated, so we keep our shots up to date, so as to avoid becoming a
cautionary traveler's tale in "Outside" magazine.

Again, the 6th citation referenced in the paper linked in this thread is
worth reading, as it says more in plain English, as does not require the
reader to do any back-of-the-envelope calculations. (Click on the ref in the
pdf to go to that web page) Quoting it:

"To assess the effects of employee face cover mandates, we employed another
event study model that focused solely on the employee face cover mandate as
the policy intervention. In this analysis, we excluded the sixteen
jurisdictions that enacted both public and employee face cover mandates and
focused on the twenty states that enacted an employee-only mandate and the
fifteen states with neither a public nor an employee mandate."

"Overall, these results indicate no evidence of declines in daily COVID-19
growth rates with employee-only mandates."

So, directing that only certain (constant-public-contact) employees to wear
masks is shown to have been a useless half-hearted measure, with results the
same as places where no mask mandates at all had been implemented.