From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2021 12:06:58 -0500
It has now been about two months since I stepped in to save the list but I am no longer a beekeeper and at some point will be passing on the torch. In the meantime I have been watching the list for potential successors and experimenting a bit.

This is the third time I have been instrumental in rescuing BEE-L from sudden death.  Over the years this list has been through many changes.  Some like Bill, Trevor, Jim, and few others  know the story and I'll maybe write more about the history sometime but moderation has been the key to survival and has shaped the character of the list.  It has also led to divisions.

Aaron and I worked together after the death of the original owner and we set Aaron as owner seeing as he worked in IT at the university which was home to the list at the time.  At first we had no moderation, however, as different sorts of folks got on the Internet, moderation became an absolute necessary, but moderation has always been a bone of contention and let to splits.  BeeSource was a split and there were others. It is a fascinating story.  Read the archives for more.

I left the BEE-L in 2013 due to a difference in vision. My view is that the list should be careful to prevent the sort of conflicts that drive away people with important jobs who cannot afford to get into public tussles or those just don't enjoy conflict.   Even a hint of such scuffles will drive away many valuable posters and we will never know they lurk and could contribute if protected from attack and innuendo.

Some come for bee information, some for excitement.  Some come for both.   The latter groups sometimes start something just from boredom and moderation has to recognize what is starting and stop it short.  I was more into prevention, but Aaron was more 'free speech' and waited until a fire started, then would stifle the offended party.  We lost a lot of good people due to that IMO.

We allowed an example to ignite earlier today as an illustration of what good moderation is intended to prevent, and will prevent  The individuals involved give as good as they get so I assume no harm is done, but  others are not as tough and we defend them.

So, that said, we are interested in prospective vision statements beyond "informed discussion" and ideas going forward and proposals.

Some will go to the list, others will be read only by interim management.  Responses are not guaranteed.

What have you got?