Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:37:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
> The thermal material properties of that top insulation (~>2" styro) is better than anything the cluster can muster. In my setups I have seen the bees use sidewalls (doubles) as their preferred location. 

I think both side and top insulation, but especially top insulation in my configurations changes the dynamics of the winter cluster by reshaping it. Bees clustered against the top have flattened the traditional spherical shape.  The result could be,  that the flattened top changes the order of isotherms making it possible for bees against the insulation to act more like core bees and conserve energy. It's almost as if the core is expanded against the top eliminating part of the energy-demanding mantle.  The reason I'm saying this is because at all times the bees are both active and can move freely away from smoke. Also in flat-top clusters convection would be mitigated while conduction is increased aided by the absence of wax comb and the midrib, at least in flattened portion, and that must change things. A study would make for some interesting science. 

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2