From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:12:14 -0600
I have seen plenty of hives that starved with honey on nearby frames. By midwinter they are always in the top box in this locale. I think I have seen patches of brood in the dead cluster zero times. My view is that they get chilled and can't move to the honey, and starve with food close by.

I see that also,  but understood the question differently.  When I see that I see it as an issue with cluster size.  IE  my beekeeping.  To fix that we would make sure the stores are right above the bees,  as lateral movement around frames is extremely difficult for bees in the cold.  Think about it,  to the bees running around the end of the frame to get to the next frame is like the people who got stuck in Donner pass.  If you ever get out there during the winter,  you realize just how bad the conditions are,  but if you get 10 miles down the road  it all changes and life would have been good.

The cases I refer to are very specific in nature,  warm spell initiating brood,  then a late season cold snap.  Patches of brood covered in dead bees,  and honey just  above that cluster.  I never looked at hive ventilation in relationship to this problem.

Since I quit wintering here in IL,  its not been an issue,  but the last few seasons we did,  if those conditions existed we would go work the hives to prevent it,  either moving stores or pollen patties in the cluster despite the cold.  Normally one would not open the hives then,  but I learned sacrificing brood,  in the cold snap was better than letting the whole hive die.

As mentioned it always seemed bigger hives had started more brood,  were more likely to have the problem.  Always sad when what look like strong hives died that way.

Charles