From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2021 16:37:26 -0500
> I stopped when I could no longer
> justify $2.25 in disposable plastic
> trash for 12 oz. of honey.

The 1880s called (as they just got a telephone!), and said "Ok, go full-bore hardcore Amish on us, see what we care."
Here are actual legit "basswood sections" for sale:
https://www.queenrightcolonies.com/product/basswood-section-comb-honey-super-kit/
http://tinyurl.com/4eez2g2g

and
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/100-split-section-boxes

> It takes some skill and good forage
> to be successful [at comb honey].
> A lot easier on the Canadian prairie
> than say Manhattan.

I don't know why people don't notice the 843-acre 100% pesticide-free / herbicide-free park in the center of Manhattan.  The other boroughs of NYC each have their own large parks, too.
Yes, lots of exotic species grow there, but the upside is that, in the Conservatory Garden (at 104th -106th and 5th Ave), when something stops blooming, skilled professionals arrive in trucks to replace the faded blooms with new plants that are or will soon bloom, grown at the greenhouses up in VanCortland Park.  The bees enjoy a nearly year-round smorgasbord, and there is far more forage than bees to exploit it.  The logistical barriers to rooftop beekeeping will mean that only the surface will be scratched in terms of honey crop vs potential.

And the last time I visited my hives, the elderly billionaire who lobbied the rest of the building to allow my rooftop hives not only made me tea, but handed me her notebook of observations of winter flight days, and 3x5 photos, printed at the drugstore, of landing board trash left at dawn on those days, as my hive visits have by limited by my wife's orders that I stay on the beach, and away from the City for the past year.  (She remembered the answers to her questions as to what I was doing).  A beeyard with tea and comfy chairs only a stairway below... beat that, Canadian prairie!