From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2021 11:47:34 -0700
 > ...then reducing the woodenware from 3 mediums to 2, and adding a
(superfluous, but it can't reduce swarming) queen excluder, and a ross
round super or two

I just noticed the cause of swarming: two broods (and the excluder does
not help)

I realize that many texts recommend producing Ross Rounds (formerly
Cobana) on doubles but that guarantees swarming in my region.  Doubles
never worked reliably for me.

Sometimes I shook triples or hives that had produced a super or more of
extracted honey down to singles and added comb boxes, but after a few
tries  I never again ran doubles for comb.  Doubles never made good comb
for me and just frustrated the bees.  ("Why go up there in those strange
things when we have plenty of room down here. We'll just fatten the
combs down here until the beekeeper can't pull them out, and swarm if we
feel crowded").

 From wintered colonies, I always produced comb on singles and added at
least two comb boxes and sometimes three to start. After a short while,
I checked to see which hives needed more boxes and which could spare a
box.  Some just would not make comb, so they got extracting supers again.

When drawing comb, there is initially oodles of room in boxes of
foundation, enough for several drawn supers worth of bees, but as the
combs are partly drawn and filled, the supers become crowded fast and
more are needed STAT.

I also made a lot of comb on packages.  Once the package was getting out
to the walls, and a few days after spreading brood if indicated, I added
one comb box on a nice day.  Those that worked the comb well got more
over time, added below.  Those that balked got an excluder and
extracting boxes.

After July, I could crowd the comb hives a bit but my best plan was to
stack all the unfinished supers on my best comb producers--sometimes up
to eight boxes--and put the other hives back to extracted honey.
Another trick (trade secret)  to get the bottom cells finished was to
invert the entire super.

If I were to do it all again, I think I'd just make cut comb.