From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:11:45 -0500
I agree with Pete that to my tastes, honey quality deteriorates with age, and anything over a couple of years old (unless frozen) I dump or feed back to a hive.

When I first began keeping bees in the 1980s I thought it a good idea to save some from each year’s crop for…. Well I am still not sure why.  But I have a few cases of honey in a dark corner of the basement that is around 30 years old.  It does taste stronger.  A bit like buckwheat.  It is not the flavor I prize or would chose to put on my Wheaties.  I have started using it to make mead.  I am not a mead connoisseur – likely I don’t know good from bad - but I have now made three different natural-yeast meads with the vintage honey.  It is drinkable and leads to telling good stories when enjoying it.

Larry Krengel

Marengo, IL