From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2020 08:38:19 -0700
>I have read studies on the effects of oxalic acid dribble on open brood.
Has there been any studies on oxalic acid sublimation and how it can affect
open brood and adult honey bees that breathe in the sublimed oxalic acid?

I can't cite studies, but can offer personal observations.
We dribble around 3000 nucs each spring, and don't notice any adverse
effects of concern.
Re vaporization, it is most efficacious against varroa when there is no
sealed brood.
In colonies with brood that I've vaporized repeatedly, upon inspection I
didn't notice any problems with the brood.
Re bee inhalation of OA by adult bees, if there were substantial harm, we'd
likely see dying adults afterwards.  We don't see that.
Bees have protective hairs in their thoracic intake spiracles to filter out
dust and as a barrier to tracheal mites.  These hairs would likely also
filter out the tiny OA crystals that constitute the fog that you see.  The
bees' setae (the feathery "hairs") that cover their bodies can, however, be
covered with crystals.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA