From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:41:23 -0500
Jerry Bromenshenk mentioned this in passing, and I found it... intriguing.

https://www.beecombplex.com

From the "How it works" page:

"As nurse bees (young adult bees caring for developing larvae) naturally
pass from one side of the frame to the other, embedded phoretic mites are
automatically detected by the patented detection corridor. When infested
bees are detected, a brief laser pulse is activated. The laser causes the
mite exoskeleton to erupt, but leaves the nurse bee unharmed and mite free."

And, in a graphic below the text, "mites on nurse bees are detected 90% of
the time".  So, truth in advertising.

So, I guess if one were to cage the queen, and run one of these for a while,
one could make a significant dent in one's mite population, but it still
faces the efficacy barrier first evinced with "sugar dusting", where killing
only phoretic mites does not buy the beekeeper any significantly increased
colony survival percentage.

But, it does have the unique advantage of deploying the closest thing to
"Sharks With Frickin' Laser Beams Attached To Their Heads" ** available to
beekeeping, so it may be as viscerally satisfying to the beekeeper's need to
feel that he is wielding a weapon as the famous "Food-Grade Mineral Oil"
treatment using the Burgess propane-powered foggers, which made a very
satisfying wooshing sound, and looked somewhat shotgun-ish.

Do I want one?  Of course I do!
Will I stop my usual varroa regimen?   Of course not!
The Price of Honey?  Still Eternal Vigilance!

** Dr. Evil, from "Austin Powers", circa 1999