From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:12:20 -0400

> >The state bee association (TBA) recently put on a summer clinic and in
> one of those 'ask the pro' part of the program related to queen rearing the
> question came up as to the minimum size of operation (ie number of hives)
> one should have before they even begin rearing queens... Taking this
> question a step further 'what is the minimum size operation do you think it
> would take for a serious breeding program (as suggested in an earlier post
> the end results or purpose may vary quite a bit... ie small bees,
> pollinator bees, honey production, etc).

In 2012 Dr. Marla Spivak told me 50 colonies was the minimum size one
should have before rearing queens. I challenged her on it a little, but she
held quite firm to that number.  Last week at EAS Dr. Delaplane also
indicated 50 colonies was the minimum size, although I believe he was
referring more to a closed population breeding program.

It seems to me that you should be able to have some level of success at a
smaller size, even say 5 hives or so, considering the available genetic
variation in your local DCAs, but my understanding of honey bee genetics
and breeding isn't advanced enough to even hint that Dr. Spivak or Dr.
Delaplane are incorrect.