From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:41:51 -0700
I remember visiting a beekeeper in the Midwest.  He said, due to
pesticides, I don't see many butterflies any more.
I turned slowly around, and then noted, I don't see a single potential host
plant for butterfly caterpillars as far as I can see in any direction--so
not surprising.

When I used to take all my hives to irrigated alfalfa each summer, the
ditch banks were covered with showy milkweed.  Those fencerows and ditches
were fascinating for me to explore, due to the much greater biodiversity of
plant and animal life that I'd find there (compared to in the cropland).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA