From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2019 04:40:16 -0600
a Jerry Bromenshenk snip followed by > my comment...
That's what MT essentially has done.  The State Apiarist position isn't fully funded by tax dollars.  The state law says the State Apiarist or SA designee (e.g., inspectors) are the only ones authorized to issue health permits for interstate transport.  State lawyers concluded that DVDs can't, regardless of the FDA VFD of Jna 2017.

>first a question.... not certain what DVD, FDA or VFD means???

>I seem to recall the Texas Apiary Inspection service is funded at about 85% of state tax payer's dollars.  The remainder is from fees directly obtained from beekeepers. The out of state guys complain about the fees which they seem to ignore are in effect highly subsidized.

>We have had a testing of this idea (designated locations) here in Texas (I think the change in the law at that time was an attempt to intercede with the Africanize bee) at the state Supreme Court Level and location are considered proprietary assets of the beekeeper.  The state was legally prohibited from even collecting this information...although it could collect data on how many hives you had in a given county in Texas.  It was very much a push made by commercial folks to not allow any information concerning location. I would guess much of the push was by the several queen rearing operation in the state < if you know how these operate you can understand why they do not want the location of their queen rearing yards published on some map.

>As a side bar... as an economist when you limit the number of sites this also adds value (in economic terms 'a rent'*) for those with existing sites or location.  Basically you limit the supply you up the price.

*rent in the economic use of the word is not what most folks think in its common usage... ie to rent a car, or a house or an apiary location.  Rent in the economic sense of the word is best considered 'excessive profits' that you can leverage out of a situation due to location or position.

Gene in Central Texas...