From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:36:32 +0000
Amazing to see how many scientists are on this- dozens of new papers published in 2020!

Thanks, I had a WAS Board meeting last evening.  One Board member works in a Seattle hospital, that same warning was distributed yesterday to their entire medical staff.
I knew there was confirming results.  The media got the Ibuprofen part wrong, as did WHO, initially.  One WAS member and scientist sent me a message saying he had seen Pence and a WH doctor speaking to this issue, saying it was false.
I was amazed.  Really, they can't do what you just did?  Based on this, I'm clearly not looking to the Pence team for informed leadership.
What the media is really getting wrong - its not ibuprofen that's the big issue.  Easy to shift, and may not be needed until one feels sick or COVID-19 cases start popping up in our respective, local areas.  But the prescription meds - those are DAILY!
As an aside, I teach a section on Scientific Literature in our Journeyman Beekeeping Class.  We were just finishing a group of 43 this week.  ONE of those had already reported that they had a confirmed case.  I sent the Lancet link.   The One with COVID-19 was most thankful, another's 74 yr old husband had a heart attack recently and has diabetes and is on ACE-2 inhibitors.  She thanked me profusely.
As I said yesterday, my long term research partner teaches A&P to nurses at Univ of MT, has for years.  He also has his oldest daughter in Med School.  As such, he has a direct pipeline of information about COVID-19 and the medical community response.  I trust those on the front lines a whole lot more than talking heads on TV.   He's keeping me in the information loop.   I and my wife are in our 70s, and we'd like to survive this pandemic.

The good news about the Lancet article - it's reasonably easy to read!   I've found that the original link was to a pre-print.  It's now on other sites, some of which may have paywalls.  Here's a work around: https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/are-patients-with-hypertension-and-diabetes-mellitus-at-increased-risk-for-covid-19-infection/98006
Jerry