Subject:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
> To my understanding MAQS (which is already approved in the EU) and Formic pro differ mainly in the matrix used?

I am well acquainted with formic acid as a treatment for varroa mites, having been involved in trials starting in 1999. We made our own pads, weighed them every week to determine the rate of release on the hives. I never saw any damage to bee colonies. Unfortunately, putting it on in mid September was too late to control mites. When the treatment was approved for use with supers, we were able to apply it in August which is when it is generally needed. Some years mite levels went up in July. 

The MAQs were effective but expired fast and if you used them after the expiry date, they didn't do much. The new formulation apparently has a shelf life of ten times what it was before, and my experience is that it does not work as well. Some of my friends have had the same experience of having to reapply several times. Most significantly, the original MAQs used to kill the grass in front of the hives; Formic Pro doesn't seem to do it. I think whatever they did to extend shelf life retards its release and hence, its effectiveness.

Bottom line, I will still use it as it is the only thing that works in summer when the supers are on. I try to get it in during the gap between the July flow and the end of August flow. The supers are on, but generally empty during this period. I don't really care how much it costs. I have never used raw formic or oxalic, preferring to always buy labeled products and use them according to the label, even if they cost more. However, due to the lessened effectiveness of the formic products (for whatever reason) I have taken to putting in Apivar after the supers come off.

The use of various brand names in this post should not be seen as an endorsement nor a condemnation of any brand name products, they are named for reference purposes only. All pesticide products are affected by environmental conditions and their efficacy will vary also according to the state of the host as well as that of the pest (in this case honey bee colonies and varroa mites). I will say this: controlling mites is the chief means of preventing a whole range of problems that they cause or promote.

Pete
You mileage may be different, depending on how you drive.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2