Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Jamie Beyer <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
There is a lot of variability of "checking hives" as we are aware.  I like to at least check the activity of each hive once a week when the bees are flying.  This inspection is just an outside visual.  I am learning that I can "see" a lot by just this method.
To go through the hive by breaking the boxes apart and even pulling frames (and using smoke) is a more invasive check.  The chances of rolling the queen or even where she can drop on the ground in a flightless condition is high especially for newbees.  From my limited experience I am still confident that a lot of hives becoming queenless is due to this. 
Checking pollen patties or a fill with syrup is a quick check that I would consider to be not invasive.  Taking the cover off and doing these simple checks (sometimes without smoke) is not disruptive in my opinion.
Using smoke very frequently can be disruptive in my opinion.  Doing the simple checks I will not normally use smoke.   
I had a case of EFB this past summer that I could tell something was wrong simply by checking the activity at the entrance and comparing to other hives in the same apiary.  That is when I will check a lot of the frames looking for something wrong.
So when we talk of being "in the hives" or "seeing my bees" can mean different things to beeks like myself.    

A old beekeeping friend once told me he thought that him and  his crews were in the hives too often, to the point it probably did more harm than good.

Jamie Beyer 🐝

-----Original Message-----
To: BEE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Mar 18, 2020 10:03 pm
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] See my bees often

> A old beekeeping friend once told me he thought that him and  his crews were in the hives too often, to the point it probably did more harm than good.

I think people underestimate the resilience of honey bee colonies. Steve Taber used to say a hive was messed up for a couple of days after you worked it.  Think about queen cell builders, which often get worked over several times every day. They still produce hundreds of queen cells per week. 

I think honey bee colonies get back to work very quickly after a routine inspection. Last year I had an apprentice and we checked hives weekly, more than I usually tend to do. I usually sort of spot check and do a lot of guess work. Nothing like a reality check once in a while to sharpen your senses.

P 🐝

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2