Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2019 12:33:39 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
>All that to say that perhaps the best size mating nuc is the one that best fits your operation size and management scheme.

Sums it up very well Benedict !

 I have used everything from micro-minis to 5 frame deeps. I agree that the most important factors are the conditions of the selected breeder queen, grafting and cell building. Once a high quality cell is put in a nuc that has at least sufficient bees to maintain thermo regulation the mating process should go well. The size of the nuc then becomes more important to the beekeeper. In a high volume operation that is rotating cells through every 14-20 days minis are OK. Even then I have had problems with the dinky 3" frames being plugged out with brood or stores and leaving little or no room for the new queen to lay in. They are also OK if you are just doing one cycle and catch the queen in the first few weeks. If left longer the minis become plugged and can sometimes abscond. Also very susceptible to robbing. Advantage, very easy to find and catch. Disadvantage, not suitable for longer term holding.

Full size deeps up to 5 frames. Advantage, lots of bees and plenty of room for the queen to develop. They can be a handy source of frames of brood for use elsewhere. The frames are interchangeable with the rest of your equipment making things easier. Can safely house the young queen for as long as you choose. Installing the complete nuc (queen and her own brood) is the most successful method of requeening that I know of. Disadvantage, it can be time consuming to find the young beauty. Colonys of that size will develop the same varroa/disease problems as the rest of the apiary and require attention.

My "Goldy-locks"  mating nucs. Not too big and not too little. I now only want a few dozen queens each summer and I want to have one whenever I need her. I cut medium frames in half and make the box to fit 5 of these frames. Finished dimensions of the frames are 6 1/4 deep X 8 1/2 wide. It makes for a small colony that can maintain and defend itself for the season if necessary and yet the queen can be found usually in a minute or less. When no longer needed the frames go in a modified medium honey super that holds 20 above an excluder on the receiving colony.  No muss, no fuss. In the spring I'll put the supper with 20 frames on a strong colony between the 2 deeps and let the queen and bees fill it with brood and stores. Makes stocking the nucs very easy and ready to receive the ripe cell.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA