Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2019 08:10:33 -0700
From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
> I have often wondered if the old advice that a good flow clears EFB is
accurate.
Up until about 2006 that was always my experience, and I didn't worry about
EFB.
Here at my location in Calif, it often no longer goes away quickly with a
good flow, but lingers on, holding the colony back from building up.
We've used oxytet to spot treat, with good effect.  But we do it sparingly,
as we don't want to encourage resistance.

My big fear is that we'll get strains of EFB that are resistant to oxytet,
which might then require disinfection or destruction of affected hives.
We don't have an insurance program to reimburse us for burning infected
hives here in the U.S., and hard for me to think that we ever will.
Meanwhile, we want to keep our eyes open for any strains that aren't cured
by oxytet, and voluntarily destroy those colonies before the strain spreads.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA