From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2019 05:59:52 -0500
a couple of Justin Kay snips followed by > my comments..
I think it's a fallacy to believe that RWeaver (or any
other queen breeder) isn't selecting for some form of varroa resistance, or
local adaptation.

>I live 20 miles north of the two Weavers and know them both fairly well.  Having lived here and raised bee for a good period of time (beginning in about 1975) I know their history, their bee keeping style and the kind of bees they raise. It would be difficult to find two operation so different in all the above aspects. Beyond your above assumption you may wish to consider the snipped part of the published paper that Peter B. provided in a later comment.. Or perhaps review the RWeaver web site.

Any implication that these queen breeders were selected in the study because
they raise some level of varroa resistant stock (or any other reason) is
your own implication, not addressed directly in the study. At least as
presented in Delaware's EAS (I don't have access to the published paper, so
can't compare the presentation to the article).

> To quote the article in Bee Culture directly (page 60)
> "It is important to note that all four stocks were from reputable green breeders and selected for some type of varroa mite resistance'

> I would suggest it is good to read an article before you make comments on someone else comment about an article that did read the article. I would guess that... if your information is reliable that the above sentence by the author is not exactly correct.. At least my experience and Peter B. snip suggest it is not accurate.

> This does not mean the article or work is without merit < this would be nit picking in the way I look at such work. The study does suggest good queens (stock), good location and good management are fundamental in bees doing well.  The weight and stock issue is one I convey to the new beekeepers on a constant bases here and in presentations..

Gene in Central Texas...