From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2021 17:07:21 +0000
 But the key thing to keep in mind is to back up what you
say with verifiable evidence or rational logic.

I spend two weeks on Scientific Literature in the Journeyman level of our Online Beekeeping Program.
First step is to provide a variety of ways for the class to access original papers.Second step is to provide ways for them to find papers of interest, Third  and 4th steps, the most important steps, are to actually read them, not just the abstract and learn how to properly assess them.
I force the class to rank three papers, and we spend a lot of interactive time drilling down, tearing the papers apart, identifying strengths and weaknesses.
I warn every student, having passed the Apprentice, Journeyman, or Master level of our classes should never be construed as the end point - you were not an Apprentice while taking the class.  Having successfully completed the course, you are now ready to start your Apprenticeship.   Same for Journeyman and Master.   This is especially important after the Master Class, in which they actually conduct a research project.  The Certificate does not indicate that you are a Master, far from it.  It simply means that we think we've given you the proper tools to start what is likely to be a life-long quest to 'Master' the subject.
Similarly, it is not appropriated to cherry-pick papers, looking for the answer that fits your own perspective and biases.  It is not appropriated to read an abstract and assume you know what is actually in an article,  And, it takes practice to learn how to critically read a paper.
Having found a peer-reviewed paper is step one.Reading it from end to end is step two.Now the real work begins, as one strives to understand the content of the paper.