From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2020 20:09:56 -0500
a Richard Cryberg link followed by > a cut and paste from the link and then a short comment...

https://adc.bmj.com/content/88/2/130

>And now the bad news. Beekeepers also have alpha-adrenoreceptors and octopamine receptors. So do dogs and fish and bees. Although amitraz has increased specificity for the receptors in mites and ticks, it can also interact with the receptors in other organisms. Consequently, amitraz can be toxic. In fact, if you ingest enough it can be very toxic. Symptoms of amitraz intoxication include CNS depression, respiratory failure, miosis, hypothermia, hyperglycemia, loss of consciousness, vomiting and bradycardia.

And it can kill you.

Admittedly, the doses required to achieve this are large, but it’s worth being aware of what you’re dealing with. Amitraz-containing strips should be used only as described in the instructions for use, handled with gloves and discarded responsibly after use.

>there is some evidence that some resistance is occurring with this product.  it has been a topic of a USDA research as well as the former BIP person here in Texas.  I have provided some mite as a bench mark for a base line effectiveness for this product.

>personally I suspect folks capacity to deal with product like this varies quite a bit.  a veterinarian friend (phd type) informs me when they use the purer form this product in a clinic they double glove.

Gene in Central Texas....