From:
Alex Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:18:55 -0400
If Amitraz is used as a pesticide on invertebrates, it certainly must have
negative consequences for honey bees.

I've spoken with experienced beekeepers who use amitraz exclusively in
their apiary, yet I cannot help but imagine that this chemical is
negatively influencing the bees health and behavior.

Last year I treated 5 colonies with apivar, and 3/5 of those colonies ended
up superceding in the spring.

Could this chemical be having a major negative effect on queens and
colonies that we're not noticing immediately?

There's the synergistic effect with other pesticides that must also be
taken into consideration.

I second guess my use of this substance, and wonder if perhaps I should
remove the strips and use an alternative non-pesticide method for mite
treatment.