From:
Jerry Shue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:52:03 -0400
I posted earlier that a 60 pound square tin of local honey was found in a food cellar here in Moab, Utah that was a minimum of 35 years old.

A 50 ml sample was sent to the UDSA-AMS lab in Gastonia, NC.

The results were:

Mg/kg
3.0		        Hydroxymethylfurfural
0.36		Copper
0.29		Lead
0.08		Silver
31.1		        Tin
3.93		Zinc

As a layman, I have trouble drawing conclusions about the safety/toxicity of these numbers, except that the HMF level seems low, given the time and the heat the honey was exposed to.

The color is very dark red-brown and the taste is very strong molasses (which I'm told by family members was the way it tasted back when), but no noticeable metallic or off-flavor or odor.

Can any of you esteemed/"informed" members of this list comment on whether this honey should be sold in small containers by the non-profit community center that owns it?

Thanks for your feedback,
Jerry in Moab, Ut