From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2020 22:23:20 +0000
Howard Kerr at Oak Ridge National Lab, an engineer and a beekeeper, pioneered, developed, and patented a device like this.  One caught a flying bee, put it into a capsule that plugged into a handheld want, and held up towards the sun.  The bee would fly to the light, and the system used wing beat frequency to distinguish AHB from EHB.   As I understand, from a well known USDA scientist who tested Howard's device, there were two problems:  1) Sometimes the bee wouldn't fly, and 2) It worked for bees known to genetically be EHB or AHB, but didn't work as well with the Africanized hybrids.
As per privacy of the MN device, I'd like to know who it was, whether they still have some units.  Can you send contact to me, off-line?
Thanks
JErry