Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 06:04:38 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
a Bob Darrell snip followed by > my comment.

The bees move honey(brood food) but very little pollen above the queen excluder to make room for wall to wall brood in my 9 frame brood boxes.

>I do not like to apply rules or absolutes to honeybees but it is something of a rule that you can (via manipulation) encourage a hive to move honey but not pollen.  The pollen we have here comes into the hive in great abundance and diversity in the early spring. It arrives ahead of any major nectar flow to the point where it can 'pollen bound' the hive and create the conditions for swarming when the population of the hives is very small.  This problem is quite common here and unless the beekeeper moves the solid frame of pollen away from the brood patch it can create problems.

>Personally I do not mind pollen in my honey and I suspect my customers do not mind either. Unlike Bob prior suggestion it does not require any extra labeling here in the US.  According to Dr Vaughn Bryant (he does pollen analysis in honey) almost all honey have some amount of pollen in them unless they are ultra filtrated.

Gene in Central Texas..

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2