Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:45:25 -0500
> The importance of this has long been understood.
> Has it????

Of course! That quote was written almost 200 years ago, when the used to "understand" stuff better. Now it's all questions-- questions--

The first beekeeper I worked for in 1974 packed 2000 hives each year using the method recommended by the Dyce Lab at Cornell, which uses a tar paper wrap, a flake of straw over the inner cover, which is shimmed up to leave  a slot for an upper entrance.

The most successful beekeeper I know who overwinters in this region (most move their outfits south) -- wraps his hives in groups of 4, covers the tops with insulation and a sheet of plywood. He also has upper entrances.

For my hives, I used Mann Lake's black cardboard sleeve, a piece of foam core under the cover, and a 3/4" auger hole about four inches from the top of the hive. I never see frost or condensation.

PLB