From:
Andrew Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2019 21:54:12 -0500
Some controversy exists over how new beekeepers might deal with Varroa.

I have taught, as do others, that testing both before and after
treatment should be done.

A recent blog post by Rusty Burlew shared thoughts by Master Beekeeper
Janet Wilson that that new beekeepers some times delay testing and
treating until the result is dead bees, and that given the result,
treating by the calendar is appropriate and preferable.

I suppose one could think of treating by the calendar as using training
wheels on a bike, something to be out grown ASAP.Though if one thinks of
testing before treating as primarily identifying colonies that don’t
require treatments and testing after treating as determining if the
treatment was effective, then treating by the calendar makes little sense.

But if treating by the calendar keeps the bees alive for another season
and also keeps the beekeeper in bees, maybe it is for the
good.Certainly, it allows time for the beekeeper to overcome whatever
excuse they were using for not testing – be it that they are scared of
their bees, or they can never find their queen (which given the lethal
nature of an alcohol wash make sleepless nights understandable.)

I can see both sides – though the old school educator in me says rearing
livestock isn’t easy.My student’s get Randy’s “Queens for Pennies” rant.

I am curious what list readers think.