Date:
Thu, 9 May 2019 10:21:34 -0400
Hi all
It is generally known that varroa mites increase exponentially in very large honey bee colonies and that colonies in temperate climates tend to reach much higher populations in these climates.

I speculated 15 years ago that small to medium colonies might be less suscetible to varroa induced collapse than the very large colonies we tend to prefer up north. I mentioned the concept to Prof. --- and he scoffed at it. Very large colonies will always be more healthy than small ones, he said.

Tom Seeley has been actively promoting the idea of small hives (in one box or at most a deep and a medium) as an approach to ensure honey bee survival. Note: honey production is drastically reduced by this method.