From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2019 07:52:48 -0600
Ascribing the coexistence of African/Africanized bees and varroa to
climate seems like a slippery slope.  Climate (and some cultural
practices) may modulate the outcome of the varroa/susceptible honey bee
dynamics, but the main driver is a positive net reproductive rate of
mites.  Unless that component changes, sooner or later colonies will be
taken down.  In the southern U.S., it was common to see untreated
susceptible colonies established as nucs with new queens in the spring
get killed by varroa by the late summer, early fall.  At 7500 feet
elevation, 38 degrees N, where we now keep a few colonies and follow
those of hobbyists and sideliners, an untreated nuc does well in the
first year, and then into the second year, but gets taken down the
second winter.  Perplexing for those not monitoring mites- why did my
colonies survive the first winter, but not the second?  Different time
course, same outcome.