Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:45:36 -0400
>Aaron said I am of the opinion that the State should provide am AIP that makes the
>state's beekeepers want to participate.

  I was at the canandaigua bee meeting a week ago and Commish Ball stated that the laws are all in the process of being rewritten as they were last updated in 1922. He kept referring to an outbreak of AFB in 2016, I think the number he said was 54 hives, down in Long Island.
  There is no doubt that there should be an AIP that wants to make state beeks want to participate. I have only lived here 15 years, I have yet to see the state, Cornell, nor ESHPA do anything for the non-commercial beeks.  To the best of my knowledge going on what Mr Ball said, the laws are being written now, not sure how you can be rewriting the laws when the head bee inspector has retired and they are just now advertising for his replacement.

 The rumor going around is the Cornell and Eshpa are rewriting the laws, none of the members of any of the clubs I belong to know a thing about it, so how could we comment to you about it?

We had a discussion last month about some counties in Calif, changing their law's to look like Montana's, if I had to comment I would say there laws would be a perfect model for NY and would be backed by most all the smaller and sideliner beeks. Another approach that would seem to work would be what west Virginia did, they made registration optional but if you did register and complied with a pretty simple set of rules, the state law set limitations on liability, if you followed the rules, you couldn't successfully be sued. I'm sure something like this would get the people that don't want to register to actually register.

 We had a rep. from cornell at a meeting a couple of month ago speculating how much help cornell will be for everyone that registers because of the new Tech Team, problem is to qualify for their help, you must have $1000 in income per year. 95% of the beeks are new beeks they don't have nor likely ever will have that income from bees.  So this whole thing is making very little sense, the small beekeepers are the problem because they can't recognize AFB but they don't have access to the tech team that can??

 so after you go to the meeting, how about starting a thread so some of us can get an idea what is going on, normally in life I would get upset about how these things are done in NY, but after 15 years I'm getting used to it. On a side note enrollment in one of the bee clubs I belong to is dropping as people delete there profiles in anticipation of the new laws, Me thinks there is a reason for it, but would hate to guess.