From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2018 21:24:27 -0500
I've been too busy for Bee-L for a while, and look what you folks did while
I wasn't looking -

I have it from multiple sources that Ms. Traynor resigned her post as ABJ
editor.

It seems to me that she had no choice - rather than compromise over simple
issues of fact vs opinion presented as fact, or even which paragraph is to
be the "lead-in" to the article, one MUST resign if one is to remain a
legitimate scientist in the eyes of one's peers rather than become a
glorified proofreader.

As there was no other discussion anywhere else, it seems that Bee-L became
the crowd of peasants with pitchforks and torches that made it clear that
even an already-settled compromise was open to critique, second-guessing,
and half-informed commentary.  The beekeepers made it clear yet again that
they did not want an actual scientist making the call as to what was science
vs what was something slightly less.   So once again, we find that
epistemology and entomology don't mix well.    A triumph of advocacy over
candor.

Kirsten would have made significant improvement in what was printed in ABJ
had she not been heckled so much so early by so many over something so
minor, with only a few who evinced any comprehension of what an "editor"
does, and should do.