Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:54:57 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
"I believe we all are conceited about what we know about the busy little bees. After reading the modern works, and then the ancient, it sort of knocks the props out. We ought to give those old fellows some honor. I feel that we have borrowed it all, or almost all, from them."

CHAS. E. KEMP. Baltimore Co., Md. Sept. 21, 1901.  The American Bee Journal.

¶

"The dynamics of pollen transfer from complimentary pollinizing avocado cultivars and pollen deposition onto and within flowers of ‘Hass’ avocado trees growing in southern California was examined. The conclusions of the work were that self-pollination within Stage 2 flowers was the dominant mode of pollination at all the humid, coastal and the dry, inland test sites. Moreover, it was determined that pollen transfer between cultivars was mediated by wind, and bees had a negligible role in pollen transfer despite high forage activity."

Davenport, T. L. (2019). Cross-vs. self-pollination in ‘Hass’ avocados growing in coastal and inland orchards of Southern California. Scientia Horticulturae, 246, 307-316.