From:
Patrick Woryna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2021 19:44:48 +0100
> There is no real justification for denying beekeepers antibiotics. The development of antibiotic resistance is of course a serious problem, but there is no evidence that honey or bees are involved. Whereas the livestock industry has over-used these products for decades and we probably have consumed great quantities of antibiotics and resistant bacteria via this route.

Antibiotic resistance is not only serious, it's also vastly
underestimated in its seriousness/relevance. 23k+ deaths/year in the
US alone.
Everywhere where antibiotics are used, there are resistance problems.
There is more than enough evidence that dumping antibiotics into the
environment is an extremely bad idea.
With the rise of microbiomics we are just beginning to understand how
far reaching the effects are.

The wrongdoings of the livestock industry/ medical prescription
practice also do not make the use in the bee industry right. This is a
fallacy of relevance. Two wrongs don't make a right.

No matter the reason I see this as a blessing. I agree there is indeed
the reputation/quality of product to protect.