Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2021 10:10:09 -0500
>  Our state bee association submitted a number of honey samples to have the pollen content DNA sequenced. We are getting the results back now and I am wondering how best to convey this information to our members.

Hi there
The first question I have is: What was the chief aim of this? Are you trying to figure out what type of honey you have, or are you simply curious as to what's in your honey. I am with Dr. Matilla, the pollen content of honey may represent a different set of plants than the nectar sources. The presence of Artemisia pollen vouches for this; as most ragweed sufferers know, this pollen is wind-borne.

On the other hand, if you really want to know what kind of honey it is, taste testing is the best way. If you had a really good curry at a restaurant, you might wonder how to make it at home. Would you ask a scientist or a cook, to tell you what's in it? A good cook can taste the ingredients, whereas a scientist might tell you Genus and not species, which is unhelpful (there are many species of Mentha, for example; all taste different).

I realize that there are honeys that even I can't ID. The next step is to go see what the bees are visiting. By deduction, using honey plant manuals, and common sense, most plants can be ruled out immediately. No honey from Pinus in spring (later they may produce honeydew, but that's another story). The content of honey is an interesting story; don't take the mystery out of it by boiling it down to DNA.

Pete
🐝