From:
Frank Lindsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2020 01:23:56 +0000
In my 50 yrs of beekeeping I have had two incidents. I generally get stung everyday as I don't wear gloves. Basically in the fingers when squashing a bee as I grab a frame.

Both cases I had been stung late at night from a bee in my clothes. One in the neck and the other near the kidney.

Reaction: light headed. Couldn't stand. Sight went down to pin hole vision. Crawled into a cool shower on my knees and stayed there for a few minutes before coming out of it and back to normal.

Non life threatening but a bit scary.
Both cases I was stung again the next day with no reaction.
My conclusion that my Heath was down and my body overacted to the sting.

I used to drop my dirty, well stung bee suit in the kitchen before it was washed the next day.

Both sons are allergic, one severely. Cannot come into our house for more than five minutes or touch the truck without reacting. He took the course for a couple of years but didn't work so carries an epipen. (He's a hospital pharmacist).

He can't even sit in our car for more than five minutes without reaction. We can't stay in his house for more then 20 minutes. Family Christmas get-togethers are held in a park (open air).

The other son less so. Mostly his problem is propolis but will often sneezes when coming into the house but opening a window helps.

This is why we advise commercial beekeepers to have laundry facilities in their shed. If you don't have this disrobe at the back door and shower immediately.
Don't carry bee gear in your car if you have young children or those going through puberty.

 Frank Lindsay
Wellington
 NZ
Sent from my iPhone