Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2019 17:28:16 -0500
> He has an inventory of ~60 aphid species in the province. But we have zero data regarding honeydew.  I can see another research project on the horizon.

Not just aphids, but a variety of invertebrates are involved in the production of honeydew.

NOTES ON HONEY BEES GATHERING HONEY-DEW FROM A SCALE INSECT, PHYSOKERMES PICEAE, SCHR.
BURTON N. GATES, PH. D., Bureau of Entomology, Washington, D. C.

It is known that scale insects as well as aphids secrete honey-dew. For instance, Lecanium oleae upon the citrus fruits of California produce great quantities of honey-dew, which collects as a coating upon the leaves

On the spruces at Amherst, Mass., a scale less well known than this attracted the writer's attention late in May and in June, 1908. Large numbers of bees were humming in the trees on the campus of the agricultural college. At times the roar was suggestive of a swarm.

During the past summer (1909) the amount of aphid honey-dew stored by bees has been almost unprecedented in all localities east of the Mississippi, and especially northward. Reports in the apicultural periodicals show excessive production in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, southern Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and to some extent in New York and New England.

Mr. E. R. Root states: "Reports continue to pour in, showing that this is probably the greatest year for honey-dew ever known in this country."