Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2018 20:21:10 -0500
In the Bee-L archives there is limited discussion of blue honey.  One suggestion is that is comes from sourwood trees that grow in the low lands of North Carolina.  In fact, I found nothing on blue honey except in North Carolina.  I have Blue honey in my hives this year… here in Northern Illinois… and I am hundreds of miles from the closest sourwood tree.

It is also suggested that it comes from nectar foraged by the bees in areas of high magnesium and aluminum content.  This seems unlikely here, also.  It is only is only in a small percentage of the cells and it tastes fine.  I wonder what the forage might be with mostly row crops and oak savannas here.  Could be an interesting niche market if I could capitalize on it… if it is not poisonous, that is.

Any thoughts on what might be the origin?  Has enough blue honey been harvested to do any research on it?  I have attached photos. Hope they work.

Larry Krengel

Marengo, IL