Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:13:55 -0500

> When I started selling local, I sold at $7 lb. I had a ton of people haggle
> with me, compare to grocery store honey. I didn't sell out. Other beeks
> told me I was an idiot for not selling for $15 lb (but if I didn't sell
> out, why would I increase price)

(Shifted from Some unresolved questions)

My wife is an artist but she also is very generous and keeps her prices
low. She does sell but not like several of her fellow artists who price
their works much higher and who are not nearly as good (not me saying this
but that she wins awards and the others do not).

People often buy on perceived value. The same painting can be priced twice
as high and will be judged better than the lower priced same product. It is
just the way we operate.

Most hobby beekeepers who have been around a while recognize that higher
prices will still sell honey because it is "local" (gets the allergic
crowd), "natural" (organic crowd), wildflower.... They just add some info
on how great the honey is.

So price it high and you will have elevated the quality by the same amount
even if it is the same honey. It will be the best tasting honey they have
ever had. And they will tell others.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine