From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2021 09:11:17 -0500
>> Whilst wind-borne it is also foraged on by
>> honey bees as, I suspect, are other
>> wind-borne pollens.

They really don't need to be actually foraging on the wind-borne pollen to have it end up in the honey.
Bees are little flying dust mops, as they, like any aircraft, will inevitably build up a (small) static charge from the friction inherent in flying.
(One may scoff at this effect, but even my lovingly restored 1950s Bonanza V-Tail must have "static wicks" that trail from the control surfaces on the tail to dissipate this static charge, to protect the avionics and instruments.)

The static charge attracts small amounts of wind-born pollen, and the near-constant fanning of bees pulls more windborne pollen into the hive, perhaps more than the foragers might bring home So, significant amounts of wind-borne pollen can be found in honey, which allows us to, with an accurate and honest dataset behind us, tell seasonal allergy sufferers  that local honey really DOES contain small amounts of the pollens that plague them.

I don’t make medical claims, but over the decades, I have been buttonholed by people with allergies telling me that my honey has alleviated their symptoms, and I never argue with a customer.
When asked, I do admit that multiple people have reported allergy symptom relief, and point out that as a jar of honey is less than the co-pay to see the doctor, it might be "worth a try", as it certainly "can't hurt".

> If you look closely at honey,
> you will not be happy what you find.
> Dust, pollutants, botulism spores, it has it all!

That's no way to sell honey!

The dust and pollutants, in tiny amounts, is similar to what an allergist would administer to accustom the immune system of an allergic person to the irritant at fault, and the year-round consumption of honey, even if only triggering the placebo effect, creates a fiercely loyal base of repeat customers for the beekeeper who are not at all price-sensitive.  Don't get bogged down in the medical details of the difference between injections and oral doses here, we are not doctors.  The point here is that the honey makes a specific demographic happier and (apparently) healthier, and it is not our place to argue with them.  We should shut up and take their money.