From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2020 08:03:30 -0400
> Out of curiosity, I'm trying to do a bit of reading on what beekeepers were experiencing with respect to pesticide poisonings in the 1950s/1960s

If you don't have a copy of Pollinator Protection, you might find one helpful in your research. The first chapter, History of Bee Poisoning has a timeline of major players including carbaryl,  Pennicap-M, the pyrethroids, etc.  But the gem in this book is Appendix VI where LD 50s for hundreds of pesticides are listed including instructions on how to use them in calculations.

> Chapters include: History of Bee Poisoning, Bees and their Relatives, Bee Poisoning Symptoms and Signs, Types of Pesticides, Herbicides, Types of Insecticides, Pesticides Used by Beekeepers, Factors Contributing to Bee Poisoning, Mortality Factors Confused with Poisoning, Food Contamination, Other Contaminant Effects, The Science of Bee Poisoning, Legislation/Regulation, Miscellaneous Poisoning Problems, Reducing Pollinator Damage and Death. There are five Appendixes: Sequential Testing for Bee Hazard, Toxicity of Insecticides and Miticides, Toxicity of Herbicides, Blossom and Fruit Thinners, Desiccants and Plant Growth Regulators to Honey Bees, Toxicity of Fungicides to Honey Bees and Specific Bee Poisoning Data for Insecticides and Miticides.

Pollinator Protection a Bee & Pesticide Handbook Paperback – December 20, 2013
by A. Johansen Carl (Author), F. Mayer Daniel (Author), J. Connor Lawrence (Editor)

https://www.amazon.com/Pollinator-Protection-Bee-Pesticide-Handbook/dp/1878075314

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT