From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2020 12:30:13 -0400
>I would accept that your package probably came with mites, a situation you will address going forward.

I completely agree with Janet that you want to keep all stress to a minimum while the new package builds and thereafter as far as that goes. The greatest stress your bees are going to face is varroa however and the best chance to get them is now before there is new brood to invade. I believe that OAV is the most benign treatment and I have seen no ill effect on bees or queens. A dribble maybe with glycerine or water would also be very low stress but I have no personal experience with either, only with 1 to 1 sugar that they may be encouraged to eat. Even an Apivar strip if you are not opposed would get them off to a good mite free start. I would not recommend formic or any other fumigant or synthetic miteiside. Others may chime in with experience with Hop Guard. My opinion is that you will not get a better chance to rid them of mites then now in the first 6 to 9 days post installation.

My 2 bits

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA