From:
Monk Benedict <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2019 14:20:15 -0500
>It may well be that
forcing cessation of egglaying by a young queen
causes her to be superceded shortly after being introduced to a colony.

I certainly don't doubt that "cessation stress", along with the stress of shipping and introduction plays into such supercedures.  However, reflecting on the supercedures that happened this past summer when I requeened my production colonies, I don't think the cessation in egglaying played so much into the supercedures.

Most of the supercedures of shipped queens last year happened in colonies that were:  more aggressive to begin with, were of a different race (requeening carniolans with Italians), given to colonies that had plenty of resources to raise their own queens, introduced during a dearth (oops), or who-knows-how-many-other-colony/environment-interactions?

I'm sure we've all introduced queens that turned out to be duds while the queen next door and from the same producer was showing breeder potential.

How would one go about determining how the cessation stress affects the queens acceptance and performance?