Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2019 09:55:51 -0500
In these several ways of dealing with Bees, it is good to defend ones self as well as may be against their stinging, which to some persons proves very troublesome, especially if they are uncleanly, or have any ill scent about them; therefore with caution must they be tampered withal. Some only drink a Cup of good Beer, and find that sufficient; others wash their hands and face there with, which proves a good defence; I have gone amongst them in their greatest Anger and madness, only with a handfull of sweetherbs in my hand, fanning about my face,as it were, to obscure and defend it. Also if a Bee do by accident buz about you, being unprovided, thrust your face amongst a parcel of Boughs or Herbs, and he will desert you.

But if the Bee happen to catch you unawares, pull out the Sting as soon as you can. Some prescribe to wash the same with your Spittle, and say that that will prevent swellings: Others commend the rubbing thereon the Leaves of Merigolds, Houseleek, Rue, Mallows, Ivy, Holyhock and Vinegar, Salt and Vinegar, and divers other things: But the most sure and Natural Remedy, is to heat a piece of Iron in the fire, or for want of that to take a live Coal, and hold it as near and as long to the place as you can possibly endure it, which will Sympathetically attract the fiery
venom that by the sting was left in the wound, or force it out of the place affected, and give you an immediate ease and cure. The same it will affect on the bitings or stingings of Snakes, or other venemous Creatures; and it's probable, on the bitings of mad Dogs: but of this in another place.

Source:
Systema Agriculturæ. By John WORLIDGE