From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2018 10:39:24 -0400
> I'd say they are an example of locally adapted. Especially since their odorant receptor genes show differentiation from mainland California bees.

But don't forget, the difference between Catalina and mainland could be due to the fact that *they haven't changed* while the mainland bees have, due to commercial beekeeping practices and the incursion of African bees. Also, divergent populations also change due to genetic drift, which is not an adaptation at all.

On the other hand, one would expect that the bees after 120 years would have gotten pretty well fitted to the Catalina environment. I don't know if the bees are in hives, or caves. Lucky that Wenner didn't get invited there to wipe them out.

PLB