Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 17:44:23 -0400
So I was decimated this year--100% loss--despite low late-August mite
> counts in all but 1 hive. I had demurred from past practice, and rather
> than empirically treating all colonies in the spring and fall, only treated
> those with indicative mite counts (3+/100 bees on alcohol wash). Whatever
> the cause of the late-season mite immigration, it was certainly a fact for
> me this year, with all of the deadouts that I autopsied showing mite
> concentrations in the 15% range. These colonies all went into winter with
> 60+ pounds of stores (in 3 cases 100+ pounds), large population numbers
> (well, moderate in 2, but not few enough to combine) and no overt signs of
> varroa/virus infestation aside from 1 isolated K-wing (I did October
> inspections, though no mite counts). I had my best honey production
> year--roughly 450 pounds off of 9 hives--while leaving plenty on board for
> overwintering. I really thought I was set, had done everything right, and
> finally had my practice figured out. Not so much.

Scott- you mirrored my experience over the past several years, especially
"thought I was set, had done everything right". But still got hive deaths
from Varroa, and infected bees. Had I done alcohol washes after the "mite
bomb" they would have shown an increase from near zero to maybe 1 or 2  and
I still would have thought all was OK and would have no idea why they died
in mid winter or earlier from Varroa. My best guess would have been virus,
but from where- which led me to my hypothesis on bee invaders.

Please try OA Vapor.It can be applied in the middle of winter so is the
best one to use in the fall, after the "mite bombs".

I may be totally wrong about the invader hypothesis, but, so far, for me it
works splendidly to treat after the invasion, no matter what the mite
count.I have a feeling that the OAV also has other benefits, but that is
pure speculation.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine