Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:03:02 -0400
I will be attending a meeting this evening to hear the New York State
Commissioner of Agriculture address my local beekeeping association. The
history of the Apiary Inspection Program (hereafter "AIP") in NYS does not
shine. At one time the AIP had 16 inspectors and a full-time State
Apiculturist to cover the state's purported 300 million hives. Inspection,
data collection, and disease control (specifically AFB) is the focus of the
program, as well as certifying migratory hives. Extension was never a part
of the program. Collected data was never shared with the beekeepers.

The AIP dwindled to 3 part-time inspectors, able only inspect commercial
operations. Late last year the State Apiculturist retired; the position has
not been filled. In the face of this declining system there is an effort by
some to require state beekeepers to register their hives and possible pay
fees.

I am of the opinion that the State should provide am AIP that makes the
state's beekeepers want to participate. So my question to the list is
directed to subscribers who willingly participate in
state/provincial/gummit programs. Do you feel the program provides vital
service to beekeepers? If so, what are these services? Is there a fee
associated with the program? If so, what is the fee? Is the program well
received by member beekeepers? Are there penalties for non-participation?
Additional comments are welcome.

Aaron Morris - thinking I'm from the gummit and I'm here to help!