Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:56:54 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
I shall use acetic acid fumigation to sterilize frames and comb infected with Nosema ceranae as per Bailey (1957), Ritter (2015), and others.

Paul Kelly at the University of Guelph Honey Bee Research Centre tells me they’ll have a video showing their method of acetic acid fumigation on their website in the very near future.

Veteran Nova Scotia beekeeper, Tony Phillips, has been using this fumigation method for years with success.  Tony, if you’re reading this post, you may wish to comment (putting you on the spot).

I have read nothing in the literature that suggests that acetic acid fumigation is any less effective in knocking down Nosema ceranae spores than it is for Nosema apis.  N. ceranae is now ubiquitous here in Newfoundland and Labrador as it is everywhere in North America (despite strict importation restrictions since 1985).

L. Bailey. 1957. “Comb Fumigation for Nosema Diseases.” American Bee Journal. January: 24-26.

W. Ritter. 2015. “Practical Beekeeping: Beekeeping with the ‘New’ Parasite.” Bee Culture. 25 May.
https://www.beeculture.com/practical-beekeeping-beekeeping-with-the-new-parasite/